
The article came out of a magazine called Experience Life published on December 13,2009. Written by: Janie C. Long page number 47.
A 25 year old, married couple and there newborn daughter live in Ohio. There daughter Maisie was just 2 weeks old her mother had taken her to the doctor for her 2 week checkup. During this time she was checked out and examined. Within a few minutes,the doctor told me that she had gained weight, and that I had a healthy, beautiful little baby girl. A couple of weeks later, My family and I were visiting my sister in law and her family, when my beautiful little baby power puked, and started crying. She cried for about a half an hour, and then fell asleep. We decided to go home, and I told my husband that since she had been fussy off and on that day, I was going to call the doctor in the morning. The next morning I woke up to my husband screaming profanities to God. I woke up startled and asked him what was wrong, and he kept screaming "She's dead, Our baby is dead!", as he dropped to his knees. I was in complete denial and thought he must be insane. I hurried over to her crib that was in our room, and there she lay. My beautiful baby was gone. She was cold. I had no idea what we were supposed to do, or who we were supposed to call. We were so heartbroken and hysterical, we couldn't even think straight. My husband finally called his Mom and Dad, and said "Maisie is dead, and we don't know what to do!" Everyone we called said" What, what did you say?", and then we would have to repeat those words that we never wanted to say or even hear. Between hyperventilating and crying, we would have to repeat it again, and some of them would even say "Are you sure?" We ended up calling 911, and they sent an ambulance and the coroner(who happened to be the doctor's dad. Before they took her away, we each held her one last time, as we cried our hearts out. Some of our hearts she took with her.I am sitting here balling like a baby, just thinking of it all, but if it can help one person get through a difficult time, then it will be worth it. Over a month later, we finally got the autopsy report, and found out that she had 6 heart defects including a hole in her heart. Our grief turned into anger. How could the doctor not know she had a hole in her heart, let alone 5 other heart defects. He should have been able to hear that through the stethoscope. We ended up hiring an attorney who later on(a year or so), told us that these types of heart defects are usually but not always detected, and that they were not going to be able to take our case. They suggested that we try another attorney, but at this point, we decided that we could not keep reliving the event. Within six months, my husband and I were barely talking to each other. We never talked about Maisie, and if I would try, he would just sit there. I spent countless hours in my bedroom by myself, crying and not understanding why it didn't affect him the same way. It actually made me mad. How can he go through the motions of his life, and not think about her or talk about her. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore, and told him that I wanted to get a divorce. We were split up for over a year before we actually got divorced, and I actually thought that we would get back together. I thought that the split up would make him realize how he was hurting me by not comforting me, about our loss. At first, he would hug me every time he saw me, but eventually he started dating, and gradually got to the point where he would not even speak to me. His family pretty much became the same way towards me. I will never forget that morning, the morning that changed our lives forever, and I will never forget my little Maisie. The memories will always remain in my heart forever and ever.
The article had a connection with chapter 8 the mother had memory's of her lost daughter. When she firsts lost her it was on her mind and she couldn't get that day out of her head, the memory was so painful that it was like something that was storage in her head. If you ever lose a child, or know someone who has, be there for them, and help them find a support group. Everyone has their own way of handling the loss, so bear with them. Eventually, things will get better.

No comments:
Post a Comment